Do you want to build a successful website? It’s hard to guarantee that any website you create will take off. But if you follow these quick and simple rules below, then perhaps you can become the next Pat Flynn and create a profitable website for your business. Below, I’ve listed 9 rules that you should follow together with a brief explanation.
1. Always use a .com domain. .com’s are the most brandable TLDs and the easiest to remember. If you’re in a pinch, you could use .net or .org for a niche site, but try to avoid any other TLD. Brad Kelley wrote a good article on how to choose a good domain name.
2. Make sure your website loads quickly. Google is now placing a big emphasis on websites loading quickly. It will help you in the search results as well as create a better user experience for your users. If you use WordPress, read this article by Shane Melaugh on speeding up your WordPress site.
3. Pick a reliable web hosting company. There’s nothing worse then a website that goes up and down at a moment’s notice. Hostgator or Bluehost are always popular choices for shared hosting. For higher end web hosting look at LiquidWeb.
4. Build an email list from the start. Your email list can never be taken away from you, so build one from the very beginning. Choose an autoresponder and add some way of collecting emails to your blog. Hybrid Connect is a very good WordPress plugin for this.
5. Pick a social media site to focus on. It could be Facebook, Google Plus, Twitter or Pinterest. But pick one and use it to promote all the content on your website. This article on Social Media Examiner has 26 social marketing tips you should follow.
6. Pick a nice looking wordpress theme. Most successful websites have a nice looking theme. With wordpress, there are many different choices to pick from. Look at sites like ThemeForest to find some good looking themes. Here is a list of Top Themeforest themes to help you get started.
7. Try to use as many traffic sources as possible. If you focus on one particular traffic source, then it could dry up the next day. (*cough Google*) So try to cultivate as many possible traffic sources as possible. Kim Roach’s 23 Steps to 100,000 Visitors will show you how to do this.
8. Have a consistent publishing schedule. Whether it’s daily, 3 times a week or once a week, pick a schedule and stick with it. Your readers will come to expect it.
9. Post top list articles to your site. Top List articles are super popular articles that will likely get shared if you do a great job writing them. They are super effective, so why not use them often?
If you follow these 9 tips, you will be well on your way to creating a successful blog. Any comments? Please let me know.